BY MIDNIGHT (A RAVENWOOD MYSTERY BOOK 1) BY MIA JAMES
Goodreads Summary 3.5 STARS!!!
April Dunne is not impressed. She's had to move from Edinburgh to Highgate, London, with her parents. She's left her friends - and her entire life - behind. She has to start at a new school and, worst of all, now she's stuck in a creepy old dump of a house which doesn't even have proper mobile phone reception. Ravenwood, her new school, is a prestigious academy for gifted (financially or academically) students - and the only place her parents could find her a place, in the middle of term, in the middle of London, on incredibly short notice. So she's stuck with the super-rich, and the super-smart... and trying to fit in is when the rest of the students seem to be more glamorous, smarter, or more talented than she is, is more than tough. It's intimidating and isolating, even when she finds a friend in the conspiracy-theorist Caro Jackson - and perhaps finds something more than friendship in the gorgeous, mysterious Gabriel Swift. But there's more going on at Ravenwood than meets the eye. Practical jokes on new students are normal, but when Gabriel saves her from... something .... in the Highgate Cemetery, and then she discovers that a murder took place, just yards away from where she had been standing, April has to wonder if something more sinister is going on.... and whether or not she's going to live through it...
Pretty conflicting emotions and mixed feelings for this book...Let's do a PROS and CONS for this book!
1) The setting was spectacular-cold gritty London. Extremely well described and makes you feel like you're actually experiencing what the protagonist is.
2) The plot is well thought out and interesting.
3) There is an AMAZING TWIST that literally made me go ballistic!!
4) There was an actual build up to the love story
5) The murders were pretty gruesome but so intriguing and mysterious, i kept asking myself who was the killer!!???
1) The protagonist is really like a brat. She acts up on her friends for no reason and they always apologize to her for no reason.
2) She doesn't call her mother 'mom' but 'Sylvia' just because her mother is one of those posh people...but so what??she's still your mother!!!
3) I can't really figure out Gabriel-sometimes he's quiet and mysterious. Next his caring and sweet. After that he's cocky and arrogant. I wished the author would have settled on complementary characteristics for him. Other than that he was swoon worthy!!!
4) This book DRAGGED ON!!! Something only happened about three quarters in the book and then, to me, this is where the real story begins. There were a lot of unnecessary things that do not contribute or help at all...
NOW THE BIG QUESTION! Will I be reading the sequel?????????
YES I WILL!!! Because the plot is so promising and i'm sure the sequel will be much better since it's shorter and i get the feeling that there will be things happening all the time and a lot of action i'm guessing! But i did enjoy this book!